When the stupid gather: Three new cases of cops shooting themselves and each other .

Retired Chicago cop's accidently discharges when dropped at Boy Scout meeting, injures leg
CHICAGO — A retired Chicago cop accidentally shot himself in the leg when he dropped a fanny pack containing his handgun following a Boy Scout troop meeting at a suburban school, police said.
The revolver discharged inside the belt-like bag after apparently landing on its hammer, Des Plaines Police Chief William Kushner said. He added that the man, who had been visiting his grandson's troop meeting, is licensed to carry a concealed gun and didn't break any laws, The (Arlington Heights) Daily Herald reported (http://bit.ly/100Zb6gDes ).
"There is no law prohibiting firearms in the school," Kushner said.
The mishap occurred in the Iroquois Community School in Des Plaines on Monday night, several hours after the regular school day had ended. No one else was injured.
"This is an unfortunate accident," Kushner said. "There was no collateral damage.
The meeting was over when the gun went off, and scouts and their parents were walking out of the building, said Boy Scout Troop 38 Scoutmaster Bryan Hedstrom.
"For the most part everybody had left," he said.
School principal Michael Amadei said an in email to parents that the man's injuries aren't as serious as initially thought. He also said the school will discuss the incident with police and the Boy Scouts organization.
"Of course, the district does not condone bringing firearms on school grounds," the note said.
A District 62 spokeswoman, Mindy Ward, said school district officials hadn't yet drawn conclusions about possible policy changes in wake of the accident.

Medina Police Chief & ex-ATF supervisor Patrick Berarducci accidently shoots self in right leg
MEDINA, Ohio -- Medina Police Chief Patrick Berarducci  accidentally shooting himself in the leg at home. Berarducci, 62, said the accident occurred about 9:45 a.m. as he was getting ready to go to work.
"I put on a new belt and strung the holster through it," Berarducci said. "I pushed my pistol into it (a Smith & Wesson .40 caliber Shield handgun), the holster buckled a little on the inside, just enough to catch the trigger."
The gun discharged, sending a bullet through his right thigh. Beraducci said the entrance and exit wounds were about four to five inches apart. He also said the bullet landed on the floor, just under his dog's dish.
He then sent his wife, Judy, to his police car to fetch a trauma bag.
"Fortunately we trained all of our cops in January how to treat gunshot wounds," Berarducci said. "She brought the bag in, and she used the dressings inside that I told her to use. With some added direct pressure, the bleeding stopped."
Judy, his wife of 39 years, did mildly scold him because, "Luckily you were conscious and we able to tell me what to do...otherwise, I wouldn't have known."
A call to Medina police quickly brought some concerned personnel -- Berarducci said they were more concerned than he was – to the house and they called an ambulance.
"We were all very concerned," said Medina police Lt. Dave Birckbichler. "And we were very relieved when he was released from Medina Hospital around 2 p.m. They called his wound minor."
Berarducci said he didn't panic because of his training with the ATF.
"I'm most proud that when they put me in the ambulance, my blood pressure wasn't even elevated," Berarducci said. "The ATF told us just because you're shot doesn't mean you're going to die. Just stay calm and deal with the injury.
"It's because of that training that I am sitting home on my couch talking (to a reporter) instead of suffering something worse."
Berarducci said he was willing to talk about his accident because he wished to emphasize that whether people are for or against the use of handguns, they are inherently dangerous and individuals need to be trained to properly use them...and how to deal with unintended consequences.
"Accidents do happen," he said, "and sometimes bad things happen to good people."
Berarducci said he hopes to be back to work no later than Wednesday next week.
"I'm anxious to go back to work, even though I know I will be the butt of so many jokes," he said. "But I intend to hear all of them."

Cop shot was in plain clothes, mistaken for an armed suspect
The cop injured in an April 10 friendly fire shooting was not wearing a police uniform, Lynchburg Police Chief Parks Snead said Wednesday.
“Although the investigation is not yet completed, the facts known to me at this time indicate that a uniformed cop accidentally shot a plain clothes cop who he mistook for an armed suspect under low light conditions,” he wrote in a news release, his first statement since the night of the incident.
The injured patrol cop, Gary Hilber, was shot once in the upper torso while chasing a suspect during the execution of a search warrant at the McCausland Ridge Apartments on Langhorne Road at about 10:40 p.m. April 10. Officials say Hilber is recovering at home.
Investigators are unsure if the suspect who ran was armed since he eluded capture that night, Snead said Wednesday. Cops are trained to assume any suspect is armed until proven otherwise, the chief continued.
David Perry Gaines Jr., the suspect whom cops were pursuing, was arrested Friday on various drug charges.
Snead declined to name the cop who fired or give his rank or experience level, citing the ongoing investigation.
The cop still works for the department but performs administrative rather than law enforcement duties, Snead said. The cop will remain on non-enforcement duties, until the conclusion of the investigation, he added.
He declined to comment on what, if any, additional training the cop may have to complete.
Snead said his staff will review the investigation once complete to determine if any department procedures need to be amended in the wake of the incident. As of Wednesday, he said there were no changes to department protocol.
The chief is unsure how long the investigation will take.
“We believe we know what happened that night,” he said but noted investigators are reviewing the details that lead to the shooting to prevent future friendly fire cases.
“The LPD is investing significant resources into this investigation in order to gain a clear and complete understanding of all the events that took place and in order to complete the investigation in a timely matter,” he wrote in the statement.
Capt. Ryan Zuidema said those resources included bringing in crime scene specialists and investigators to collect and evaluate evidence.
City police are working with the Lynchburg Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office to investigate the case. The Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office will decide whether to pursue charges against the cop who shot Hilber at the conclusion of the investigation, Snead said.