Reports from the land of stupid

MPPD: Officer accidentally shot K-9
MOSS POINT, Miss. (WALA) - A very important member of the Moss Point Police Force is recovering after being shot. It’s the department’s K-9, Cora. Police said the shooter was one of their own.
Although she was a little sore, on Thursday, March 7, it was obvious Cora had made tremendous progress since the shooting Tuesday.
Police Chief Keith Davis said Cora is a big part of the Moss Point Police Department.
"She’s a member of the family," said Davis.
The focus now is on getting Cora back on the job. Davis said the 2-year-old K-9 was shot while officers were conducting a search warrant at a home.

"Entry was made into the residence and the K-9 handler attempted to circle around the back of the residence to secure any person's attempting to flee from the rear of the residence,” said Davis.
Police said Cora heard some commotion inside the house, and did what she is trained to do - respond to the threat.
"The K-9 pulled away from her handler, got loose from him and went towards the fight where the individuals were being arrested," said Davis.

Police said Cora mistook one of the undercover officers for a suspect and bit his leg. Police said at the same time, the officer mistook the K-9 for the suspect’s pit bull.
"With all of the chaos going on inside of the residence, the officer turned thinking it was one of the vicious dogs he had heard about and tried to isolate the threat,” said Davis.
Davis said the officer shot, sending a bullet through Cora's hind leg. She was rushed into emergency surgery.
The vet said it will be a few weeks, but Cora will be back on the force, doing what she loves.

"Her responsibilities are as important as a human police officer," said Davis.
Thursday, Cora acted like nothing had happened playing tug-of-war with the chief. Her handler said it's important for her to take it easy, but it’s obvious Cora wants nothing to do with rest.
Cora’s handler said after she was shot, Cora didn’t even flinch. He said she kept her focus on the job.
The Moss Point Police Department is asking an outside agency to investigate.


Officer suspended after gun discharged in school
HIGHLAND, N.Y. — A police officer has been suspended without pay as officials investigate an incident at a high school here in which his gun fired.
Sean McCutcheon, an officer in the Lloyd, N.Y., police department and a school resource officer for Highland Central School District, accidentally discharged his gun at 1:38 p.m. Tuesday in the hallway of Highland High School here, the school district and police said.

No information has been released on why the gun went off, and the department's investigation is continuing, Lt. James Janso said.
"He's suspended pending the investigation," which is standard protocol, Janso said. The officer's weapon, a Glock .45-caliber pistol, was taken as evidence.
Janso said the department is interviewing high school staff and keeping the Ulster County District Attorney's Office apprised of the probe.

No one was injured and no students or staff were nearby when the gun went off, according to a statement from the district.
Students and staff were notified quickly about what had happened and the school day went on normally. Parents were notified within 20 minutes of the incident via an automated phone call, school Superintendent Deborah Haab said.
McCutcheon is a part-time officer and the only school resource officer in the Highland school district. He rotates between the district's three schools. The district's school resource officer program, begun in wake of the school shootings in Newtown, Conn., is on hold while the investigation is being conducted.

Manchester Community College locked down
A police officer was accidently shot in the foot Wednesday while searching Manchester Community College and Great Path Academy after a female student reported that she had seen a gunman on campus, according to The Hartford Courant.
Great Path Academy, a high school located next to the college, and the community college were in lockdown for several hours on Wednesday while police searched the premises for the reported gunman. The student described the gunman as a heavy-set man about 5’8’ to 5’10’, and wearing a red, short-sleeved shirt, but no one by that description was found.
Police declared the campus secure six hours after the initial report was made, according to The Associated Press, but said they were still looking for the person the student described.
The Courant reported that the officer was wounded in the foot during the search by the “accidental firing of a weapon.”
Students were alerted of a lockdown via text message around 1:30 p.m. after a student reported seeing a man with a gun on campus.
No gunman was found, The Courant reported, and the lockdown that began around 2 p.m. was called off shortly after 7:30 p.m. State police said the investigation into the report was still under way Wednesday night.
The college and high school will re-open tomorrow, according to The Courant.A police officer was accidently shot while searching Manchester Community College and Great Path Academy after a man with a gun was reported to be on the campus, according to The Hartford Courant. Great Path Academy is a high school located next to the college.
The Courant reports that the officer was wounded during the search by the “accidental firing of a weapon.”
Students were alerted of a lockdown via text message around 1:30 p.m. after a student reported seeing a man with a gun on campus. Around 3:25 p.m., The Courant reported that a man was seen being escorted into a police car with flashing lights.

Memphis police officer shot in leg, non-critical

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — A Memphis police officer was accidentally shot in the leg Tuesday when a fellow policeman opened fire on three dogs while serving a search warrant.
Officer Calvin Taylor, 45, was taken to the Regional Medical Center in non-critical condition after the 3:25 p.m. shooting, Memphis Police Director Toney Armstrong said.

Members of the organized crime unit were serving a drug-related search warrant at a home when three pit bull dogs charged one of them, Armstrong said. An officer then fired at the dogs with a shotgun, striking and killing two.
Armstrong said shotgun pellets blasted through the door of the home and struck Taylor, who was maintaining a perimeter outside. Armstrong did not say which of Taylor's legs was hit, though he did describe the officer's injuries as not life-threatening.
No arrests had been made as a result of the warrant as of late Tuesday afternoon, Armstrong said.
The shooting marked the second time in four months that a policeman has been shot by a colleague who was defending himself from a dog.

Officer Willie Bryant, a 32-year-old member of a multi-jurisdictional gang unit, was critically wounded when he was shot in the back while serving a high-risk warrant Nov. 8. Bryant was struck by a shotgun blast from an officer who was aiming at an attacking dog.
Armstrong said the shootings are examples of how hazardous the process of serving a search warrant can be. Taylor is at least the 12th officer to be shot in the line of duty since Armstrong took over the department in April 2011.

"All search warrants are unpredictable," Armstrong said outside the hospital. "They are all dangerous."